This year, the United States is holding its once-a-decade census! In-person census outreach began on August 11th. [Read More »]
The United States Census is a count of the number of people living in the United States. Data from the census helps to determine how federal funding for numerous resources is distributed to municipalities and states alike. Filling out the census will enable you to do your part in making sure that New York City and New York State gets the resources they deserve.
Why Should I Fill Out the Census?
High participation in the United States Census will ensure that New York City and State get adequate federal funding for:
- School lunch programs
- Health programs such as Medicaid, Medicare Part B, State Children’s Health Insurance, and the prevention and treatment of substance abuse
- Hospital services, which are desperately needed during the COVID-19 pandemic
The census also helps to determine how many representatives New York City and New York State have in Congress. New York has been losing congressional representation for decades, and by filling out the census, you can give New York a chance of ending this decades-long trend.
Finally, the census helps New York City and State determine where best to allocate resources for everything from transportation to schools.
How do I fill out the Census?
You can fill out the United States Census Questionnaire.
You can complete it by phone by calling 844-330-2020 or calling the number associated with your preferred language. The Census Bureau has a page which lists numbers of various preferred languages
You can respond my mail. Note that if you have any questions about the mail-in method, the Census Bureau has a list of frequently asked questions on responding by mail.
How Can I Spread the Word?
There are several ways that you can help spread the word about the census:
- Share with your neighbors this page on how to respond to the census.
- Talk with friends and family about the benefits of filling out the census.
- Join your Neighborhood Organizing Census Committee (NOCC), which will give you the opportunity to canvass, phonebank, and text with your community to make sure others take the census.
- Hang up these flyers in your building.
- Sign up online to help New Yorkers fill out the census on-the-spot at subway stations and distribute free masks with the MTA.
Can I take the census in a language other than English?
Yes! New York City has census resources in numerous languages such as Spanish, French, Arabic, and more!
And the census provides you with an opportunity to respond in your preferred language. Visit the census page on how to respond by phone in your preferred language.
But…I’m Concerned About Privacy
The United States Census Bureau is required by law to keep your answers strictly confidential. Therefore, nobody can use your census answers to take away your privacy, and nobody will be able to use your census answers against you, regardless of race, immigration status, or anything else.
If you have outstanding questions or concerns about the census and privacy, please visit this page on how the Census Bureau protects your data.
What About the Citizenship Question? Can it Be Used Against Non-Citizens?
There is no citizenship question in the 2020 Census. While the Trump Administration sought to include a citizenship question, that attempt failed.
I Have Additional Questions.
If there’s a question you have about the census that was not answered on this page, reach out to the CB6 office at 212-319-3750 or email@example.com. We are here to help!