Notices and construction advisories affecting Community District 6 and the surrounding areas:
Weekend traffic advisory from NYC Department of Transportation.
- Lexington Avenue between 42nd Street and 54th Street: This street will be closed Saturday from 10 am to 6 pm for Turtle Bay Association Festival as permitted by the Mayor’s Street Activity Permit Office (SAPO).
- Infrastructure upgrades to Kips Bay streets: Work on Second Avenue and surrounding areas will begin this summer and will run until the summer of 2021. Typical work hours will be from 7 am to 3:30 pm and will install new curbs, catch basins, sewers, hydrants, and water mains. Click here to view the flyer released by the NYC Department of Design and Construction. Latest community advisory: June 18, 2018.
- Con Ed 2nd Avenue Gas Upgrades between 38th – 39th Streets: Gas service upgrades will take place from 6/9/2018 to 9/9/2018 with Saturday and Sunday work from 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM. There may be noise and limited street parking as a result. Click here to view the notice.
- Roadway closure due to work at 400 East 20th Street: On Saturday and Sunday June 23-24, First Avenue north-bound service between East 20th and East 19th Streets will be closed due to a boom truck delivery of HVAC unit to the roof. The work will start by 9:00 AM both days and conclude by 6:00 PM.
- East 33rd Street between 1st Avenue and 2nd Avenue: Work to reconfigure this section of the street from one-way to two-way began on 5/25/2018. The normal working hours for this project are 7 AM to 3PM Monday through Friday. All work for this project will take place at the south and north corners of 33rd Street & 2nd Ave. Please note that this schedule is weather dependent.
- The first phase (weeks 1-2) they will remove an existing sidewalk corner and one-way sign, install a new sidewalk & pedestrian ramp, and install tree protection
- The second phase (weeks 2-4) will include removing the existing concrete median and curb, removing existing road markings and installing new markings, and installing new asphalt, sidewalk bollards, and road markings.
- The third and final phase (weeks 4-6) will include removing the existing tree, removing the existing pedestrian island, removing the existing flexible bollards, restoring pavement at the removed island, and installing new street markings.
- Cross-town protected bike lanes: Bike lanes and other safety improvements will be implemented on 26th Street and 29th Street this summer. Click here to see details from the NYC DOT. CB6 supported this change and requested that some parking be preserved for people with disabilities.
- 28th Street station closure: This 6 train station on Lexington Avenue is scheduled to close on July 16 as a part of the MTA’s Enhanced Station Initiative, a program to close down select stations to give them extensive and much-needed renovations. The station is set to re-open in December 2018.For alternative service, the 33 Street 6 and 23 Street 6 stops will be the closest available alternatives for the 4-5-6 Lexington Avenue trains and are an estimated five minutes away by walking. The 28 Street R-W stop is also a nearby option, estimated to be about six minutes away by walking.Click here to view the presentation MTA provided at the June 13, 2018 Full Board meeting.
- Pershing Square West Plaza: The opening of the plaza on Park Avenue West, from East 42nd Street to East 41st Street, is postponed until further notice. Click here to see the community advisory from the NYC DDC.Click here to see the latest weekly construction bulletin for this project.